Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
2tablespoons garlic infused oil, with extra to drizzle at the end
1red pepper, cored, seeded and roughly diced
2tsp. soft brown sugar
400gtin of good quality plum or chopped tomatoes
Handfuldry red lentils
1-2tsp. harissa, or 1 tsp. dried chilli flakes
- Place 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan, along with all the spices and salt, and set over a medium heat. When hot, add the diced red pepper, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, soft brown sugar and harissa or dried chilli flakes, and crush the lumps of tomato until the sauce is combined well. Turn the heat down and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes before adding a handful of dried red lentils and half the amount of boiling water.
- Cook for 20 minutes with the lid on, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, pour the remaining boiling water and stir. Crack the eggs into the sauce, keeping a gap between them. Cook on a low heat with the lid on for an additional 7-10 minutes.
- Gently scoop the eggs and the sauce out with a ladle and place in serving bowls. Drizzle about a teaspoon of garlic oil and season with freshly ground black pepper to your taste.