Generously serves 4
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus extra once filling is cooked
The green ends of two leeks (roughly half of the leek), finely chopped
Two courgettes, finely grated
5 baby potatoes, diced into 2cm cubes
2 tsp salt
1tsp coarse pepper
1 ½ tsp nutmeg
Juice of half a lemon
200g feta cheese, crumbled into small pieces
Ready-rolled gluten-free puff pastry
Rectangular Pyrex or pie dish
- Finely chop the green ends of the two leeks. Grate the two courgettes, slicing off both inedible ends. Place vegetables in two separate bowls.
- In a large saucepan, pour 4 tbsp. olive oil on medium heat, adding 1 tsp. salt and the coarse pepper. After a minute, add the finely chopped leeks to the saucepan and cook for 7-8 minutes until softened. Add the finely grated courgettes, regularly stirring for 15 minutes, or until the courgette has softened. While the courgette is cooking, dice the baby potatoes roughly into 2cm cubes and place in a Pyrex, or microwavable dish, to microwave for 5 minutes on high power. Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan or 200ºC without.
- In five goes, add the spinach, stirring until it wilts before adding the next addition. Once well mixed, fold in the softened potato cubes along with the nutmeg, remaining 1tsp salt and lemon juice. Roughly crumble the feta cheese block into bite-sized cubes.
- Evenly spread the spanakopita filling in a rectangular pie dish and add the crumbled pieces of feta cheese before covering with the ready-rolled gluten-free puff pastry. Pinch each corner of the puff-pastry and with a fork poke 12-14 pie vents. Cook for 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Once cooked, divide the spanakopita into four to six squared portions and leave to cool for 15 minutes before serving.