Makes 16 large cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 17-18 minutes
60g vegan butter
100g dark brown sugar
100g light brown sugar
75g golden syrup or molasses (approximately 3 tbsp)
½ tsp vanilla
250g gluten-free plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp xanthan gum
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp non-dairy milk (preferably almond)
30g white granulated sugar for sprinkling
Large flat tray
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC fan / 180ºC non-fan. Begin by creaming together the vegan butter, brown sugar and golden syrup until combined. Add the vanilla and repeat whisking.
- In a separate bowl, sieve the gluten-free plain flour, adding the baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and spices in the mix.
- In three goes, add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until crumbly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk. Here you can either mix by hand or with a whisk; whichever is preferable. The dough should be thick and mouldable. Only if not sticking, add another teaspoon of non-dairy milk.
- With a tablespoon, roughly scoop up the mixture and roll into balls before liberally sprinkling them in white sugar.
- Place the rolled balls on a large flat tray lined with parchment paper, and lightly press each one down with a fork. Ensure that the cookies are spaced out on the tray; if not, bake the batch in two goes.
- For crunchy cookies, bake for 17-18 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack. Ensure that the cookies are cooled for at least 15 minutes before eating as they need to firm up and become crunchy.